Please find below information relating to the most frequently asked questions around Microblading treatments. We understand the importance of transparency and ensuring that you, our valued clients, are fully informed and able to make the best decision you can. If you would like further information that can not be found below please feel free to contact us.
WHAT IS MICROBLADING?
Microblading is a procedure categorised under permanent makeup, but unlike traditional cosmetic tattooing, it is less invasive and is considered semi-permanent. Microblading typically lasts 1-2 years, depending on skin type and skincare routine. The procedure is carried out using a hand tool with ultra fine needles and each 'hair' is gently etched into the skin, giving an incredibly natural and realistic look. Microblading can correct or fully reconstruct lost eyebrows, and is particularly effective for those wanting to enhance their brows or those who have little to no eyebrows, thinning brows from age or over tweezed brows. The pigments used are chosen to match the natural or desired brow colour, and skin tone is also taken into consideration.
HOW LONG DOES MICROBLADING TAKE?
Your initial consultation will take between 20 and 30 minutes, and during this time we will run through the procedure in detail, conduct your patch test and run through some preliminary health questions. For the first Microblading appointment, the entire procedure should take between 2 and 2.5 hours. During this appointment, your technician will discuss and draw your desired eyebrow style until you are completely happy. We will then decide on the best pigment colour for you. Once you are completely satisfied, we then begin the procedure.
A follow up visit for your retouch is essential to have any minor necessary touch ups. This retouch appointment takes place 4-6 weeks after the initial appointment and takes approximately 1 to 1.5 hours to complete.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO HEAL?
The eyebrow area will be slightly red after the procedure and the pigment colour will appear very dark. This is completely normal for the procedure and part of the healing process. The colour will fade by up to 40% as it heals. In the following days, the eyebrows will continue to be dark and you will notice slight scabbing. It is essential you do not pick at the scabs as this may damage the skin and the outcome of the microbladed area. The eyebrows will lighten up in colour as it heals. No down time is required after the microblading procedure, although the area may feel a little bruised for a little while after. It takes approximately 7-14 days for the brows to heal over, and about 1 month for the colour to fully set in. You'll notice the colour is very light around two weeks after the procedure, almost disappearing completely. This is completely normal, and is due to the tissue still healing from the inside out, even though the surface of the skin is healed. The true colour will reveal itself once fully healed.
IS THE CONSULTATION APPOINTMENT NECESSARY?
Absolutely. The consultation process is as much for your benefit as it is for ours. This time allows you to get to know your technician, ask as many questions as you need to, and make sure you are entirely happy to go ahead with the procedure. It is also an opportunity for us to run through some preliminary health questions with you to check no further information is needed, and give you time to obtain your GPs permission, if needed, before we carry out the procedure. We also use the consultation to carry out a scratch test of the pigment and anaesthetic – this is much more effective than an ordinary patch test, and can only be carried out at the clinic at least 48 hours before the procedure.
IS THE RETOUCH APPOINTMENT NECESSARY?
Absolutely. A retouch appointment after 4-6 weeks is essential as everyone heals differently and outcome will vary. Certain areas may not pick up during your first appointment and will need to be refilled. Pigment colour may need to be adjusted, brow thickness and more strokes can be added. Clients with oily skin often require a deeper shade during the retouch appointment as the oils tend to lighten the pigment. Most importantly, your retouch appointment is when we refine your brows to ensure they look perfect and retain the colour for the whole year!
CAN I GET MY RETOUCH APPOINTMENT SOONER THAN 4 WEEKS?
Retouch appointments cannot be carried out earlier than 4 weeks after the initial microblading appointment as pigment colour has not fully settled into the skin. Most importantly, this is to prevent scar damage as the tissue requires time to completely heal.
IS IT PAINFUL?
The pain level for the procedure is considered mild to none. Prior to the procedure your brow technician will apply a topical anaesthetic to numb the area, and this is usually sufficient to keep the brow area comfortable during the procedure. Everyone responds differently to anaesthetic; depending on the client, the feeling of the procedure has been described as light scratching to not feeling anything at all.
After the procedure, redness and slight swelling in the area is normal. Clients describe the area feeling similar to light sunburn or slight bruising.
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
Since microblading pigments are not implanted into the skin as deep as traditional tattoos, the area will naturally fade overtime. Microblading typically lasts 1-2 years, depending on skin type (normal/oily/dry), age (youthful/mature) and how well aftercare is followed. Your skincare routine will also affect the lasting effect of the pigment: clients who are regularly in the sun (or use sunbeds regularly) or those who use products containing AHA or Glycolic Acid will fade faster as your skin will resurface faster. This is also true for those with an oily skin type. Each individual's colour retention within the skin will vary. To keep your brows looking fresh, a retouch is suggested every 9-18 months. Clients can let the microbladed area fade over time, but please note a slight shadow may remain.
WHAT ARE THE PRE AND POST CARE PROCEDURES?
In order to achieve the best results, it is best to follow the pre and post care instructions.
Prior to your procedure, clients are advised of the following:
- Avoid alcohol and aspirin/ibuprofen and any vitamins that may thin your blood for 48 hours.
- Avoid tanning so we can assess your natural skin tone.
- No face scrubs or chemical peels at least two weeks prior.
- Feel free to come in with brow makeup on so our technician can see the look you prefer. Reference pictures of shapes and colours of brows are always welcomed. We will then work together to create your perfect brows!
After your procedure, clients MUST follow these instructions:
- For 24 hours following the procedure you must be very careful not to let anything come into contact with your brows. Immediately after the procedure the small ‘hair strokes’ are not healed at all and so the area is open to infection (although we will apply a liquid form of plaster to protect them)
- Do not immerse brow area in water for 7 to 14 days. When showering, make sure to avoid face area. When cleaning or washing face, make sure to avoid brows and clean around it.
- Do not apply makeup on the brow area for a minimum of 10 days.The microbladed area is still an open wound and using makeup may cause infections.
- Avoid alcohol and aspirin/ibuprofen and any vitamins that may thin your blood for 24 hours.
- The brow area will feel slightly itchy as it heals and will start to lightly scab over. Do not peel or pick at the scabs as this can affect the outcome and pigmentation. Your technician will give you a healing balm to take home, and if and when they start to feel itchy, this can carefully be applied to the area. Do not over apply the healing balm.
- Do not go swimming, tanning or into saunas for at least 14 days.
- No face scrubs or chemical peels at least 2 weeks after.
WHO IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THE PROCEDURE?
Microblading is not suitable for clients who:
- Are using Accutane (or any other type of acne medication)
- Have heart conditions or are using heart medications
- Are currently undergoing chemotherapy or radiotherapy (further details can be supplied on timescales of before/after treatment if required)
- Have diabetes (unless written permission from your GP is obtained)
- Have skin disease or irritations
- Have had Botox in the last 2 weeks
- Have gotten a deep tan or chemical peels in the last 2 weeks
- Are allergic to lidocaine, prilocaine, benzocaine, tetracaine or epinephrine
- Have any serious medical conditions (unless written permission from your GP is obtained)
- Are pregnant or breast feeding
* We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who we deem not suitable for this procedure or for any other reason. Our brow technicians make the decision to microblade an individual based on their own discretion. *
RISK AND COMPLICATIONS?
We take all proper precautions to ensure your treatment is carried out to the highest of standards by using sterilised equipment, new and individually packed needles for each and every client and by ensuring the strictest hygiene protocol. Should clients follow our pre and post care instructions, there is minimal risk of complications. Although allergic reactions to the anaesthetic and /or pigments are rare, it could be possible for certain individuals. We always insist a patch test for every client, to ensure as best we can this will not occur.
WHAT IF I DO NOT LIKE IT?
As with all cosmetic procedures, individuals should not make their choices lightly. We always recommend clients do their research, understand the procedure and compare different artists' work and portfolio when making their decisions. Our brow technician will do their utmost to shape and style your eyebrows to your satisfaction prior to the procedure. Every effort will be made to achieve an even appearance, but please realize our faces are never perfectly symmetrical. Uneven appearance can be fixed during the retouch appointment. Pigment discoloration and colour correction can also be fixed during this appointment. Microbladed brows will eventually fade away if no additional touch ups are done.
WHAT ARE YOUR CANCELLATION OR MISSED APPOINTMENT POLICIES?
Clients are able to cancel or reschedule appointments at anytime, with a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to the appointment time, otherwise a fee will be charged. To book a microblading consultation, a fee of £40 will be taken over the phone, and this cost will then be deducted from the cost of the treatment, should you wish to go ahead. This fee is non-refundable, however you are still able to change the date/time of your appointment provided 48 hours notice is given. Cancellations or changes to your appointment can be made by phone, email or the ‘contact us’ page on the website.